Thursday, June 12, 2008

Chris in a bubble! aka Kamer Time (like "Hammer time"!)


So Chris was away this week, but not so far away. He was housed two floors down from my lab participating in yet another medical study. This study was researching the effect of protein absorption and the body's use of protein. It began with an intense bike ride where he had to continue pedaling until he reached complete exhaustion...it took him a whole hour and 20 min! Upon completing that grueling task he showered and was promptly locked in the Respiratie Kamer for the next 36 hours. So to explain the kamer...it's basically the size of half of a run-of-the-mill dorm room complete with bed, toilet, sink, computer, tv, and desk. What's particularly special about this room is that it's completely airtight. Anything that entered the room had to pass though a special compartment with airtight doors on each side. Actually Chris needed to give me a form he had and we had to pass it through the compartment...so cool!! The study provided him with special food and he was basically able to relax during the 36 hours, giving him lots of time for writing and movies. Although it sounds scary to be locked in the room for that long, they do allow you to leave at any time. The only catch is that you won't be paid.


As Chris was just below me, I was able to visit him a few times throughout his Kamer days. I think it was pretty much how it would be to visit someone in jail. We could look at each other through a little glass window and talk over and intercom. I brought my camera took some pictures, this probably wasn't allowed, but I snuck them out just for you all! He escaped today and can't sit still after being enclosed for so long!
Here's the equipment on the outside monitoring Chris and the special compartment to get things into/out of the kamer.

1 comment:

Steven and Julie said...

Chris, you are so brave! I don't think I could have sat there for that long without getting freaked out.